Carrie Smith and Nancy Bauer are former educators who were looking for a new venture. Being civic-minded and also on the board of the Friends of Historic Girard, they were excited to purchase and save a historic building and also bring a new business to Girard.
Painted Barrels building was built in 1881 on a lot purchased from the railroad. Ed Fanger and his brother F.E. owned and operated a grocery and provisions store in the building until 1883, when Minerva Arnold bought it for a millinery shop. The building changed hands several more times over the years. It housed a dress shop, a floral shop, and most recently served as law offices until being vacated around 2010. Carrie and Nancy are excited to have breathed life into the old girl again with their new gifts & decor shop! With its ornate upper facade and original awning, the building is pictured at right, circa 1900.